The first of three training camps for young female cyclists will take place during the mid-term break, from Monday 20th February – Wednesday 22nd February . The format will be like last year’s mid-term camp in Avon Ri, Co. Wicklow. Over the three days, participants will try three different cycling disciplines; road biking, mountain biking and track racing. In the evenings, they will learn about some of the vital skills that will help support them as they develop as cyclist, skills such as training advice, race preparation and goal setting. The camp will be subsidised by the Women’s Commission of Cycling Ireland and will therefore be offered at a very reasonable price of 150 euro for the camp.
The camp organiser, Women’s Commissions Development Coach Orla Hendron, describes the purpose of the camp “as giving the girls exposure to a number of different cycling disciplines and to build on what they learnt last year while keeping a balanced approach to cycling training. What’s more they’ll benefit from doing this in an environment with their peers.”
Venue: Avon Ri Adventure Center, Blessington, Co. Wicklow
Ages: Girls from Under 14s to U23s
Standard required: Participants must have a road bike in good order, a helmet and a Cycling Ireland licence. Under 14s should be able to ride 40k, under 16s should be able to ride 70k and under 23s 90k. These requirements are for the purposes of safety.
- Arrival: Avon Ri Monday 20th Feb between 9 – 10 am
- Monday morning: Skills & Spins starting 10.45 am
- Tuesday – morning: Mounting Biking at Ballinastoe Wood, Co. Wicklow
- Tuesday evening: Two Break out talks for each group Youth & Juniors/under 23s with coaches TBC
- Wednesday : Track training at Sundrive Velodrome, Dublin
- Camp finishes on Wednesday 22nd in Sundrive Velodrome at 3pm approx.
Cost €150. This includes:
- Two nights’ accommodation with full board;
- Transport to Ballinastoe and Sundrive
- Coaching from some of Irelands best coaches.
- Track bike hire
(MTB hire NOT included – cost: 15 Euro)
Spaces are strictly limited. The camp represents excellent value and places are likely to fill up fast so please make sure to sign up as soon as possible using this link if you are interested in taking part. Please note you can pay on the day – exact cash or cheques only as we’ve no credit card facilities. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.